Role Title: Media and Communications Manager
Location: London, UK
About the Role: The Media and Communications Manager will be responsible for generating a regular, visible, inspiring and impactful presence for the Commonwealth Sport Movement.
Effectively communicating and demonstrating our values, vision and mission. Developing and delivery of the organisation’s communications and public affairs strategy and plans including, reputational risk, issues and crisis management.
The position is responsible for media relations, communications and operations, both year round and scaling up during Games years including Commonwealth Youth Games. Games responsibility will require working with the Organising Committees (OCs) to lead effective communications operations and processes. Overall responsibility for building and developing strong internal external and stakeholder communications programmes, delivering to the organisation and leadership objectives.
This role will play a key part in repositioning the brand by increasing the awareness of the Movement’s relevance and social impact by developing professional consistent messaging and ensuring collective understanding and buy-in across the Movement, shaping the narrative maximising visibility, and ultimately contributing to the success of the Movement.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
Developing Communication Strategy: Develop and implement a comprehensive annual organisational communication strategy in conjunction with the Director of Marketing and Communications, to enhance the CGF’s organisational plans and strategy, reflecting the Movement’s vision, mission and values.
Elevating the visibility and engagement amongst key stakeholder groups and target audiences, both internally and externally, delivering both B2B and B2C strategies.
Develop internal plans and communications that keep staff informed, engaged and aligned to the organisational goals.
Media Relations: Build and maintain relationships and networks with all forms of media nationally and internationally, create an international network for effective messaging in multiple territories.
Develop and implement editorial media strategies to promote CGF objectives and campaign messaging. Develop and implement messaging strategy and create and manage interview opportunities for CGF spokespeople.
Ensure a clear understanding of the Commonwealth Games Federations (CGF’s) vision, mission and priorities.
Work effectively with journalists, reporters, and media outlets to secure coverage for the Movement and act as the primary point of contact for media inquiries and facilitate media interviews and press conferences.
Key Messaging Press Releases and Media Materials: Develop and maintain the organisations key messaging across a range of topics and issues and act as a spokesperson when required.
Write and distribute press releases, media advisories, and other media materials to announce important updates, milestones, and news related to the Movement and Games.
Develop and produce speeches, presentation decks and briefing packs for CGF staff and Board as required keeping the parties advised, and briefing on matters of public interest to the Commonwealth Sports Movement.
Arrange and manage press conferences and other media events.
Media Operations: Lead the development and delivery of Games-time media operations liaising with the OC, press attaché, and CGF leadership team on activities and/or public affairs issues.
Establish and manage strong relationships with OC and CGA Media Operations Teams. Understand technicalities and challenges of Games media operations environments.
Develop and implement comprehensive media operations plans in consultation with OCs to facilitate the CGF, CGAs teams, athlete, media interface during Games-time.
Ensure media, sports, athletes, CGAs understand expectations around media operations. Ensure accredited media including rights holders, non-rights holders, journalists and photographers understand the rules around their accreditation and news access rules.
Communication tools and platforms including Digital and Social Media Management: Working with the Head of Digital, ensure all necessary communication tools and channels are in place and maintained, including across social media, to maximise the reach and profile of the CGF and its activities.
Manage the generation of content in relation to the communication strategy that engages audience segments and leads to discernible positive action.
Develop and manage the strategic distribution and maintenance of all corporate communications across all platforms and all formats.
Develop, implement and manage the media portal to provide access to CGF media resources working with the digital team where required.
Content Creation: Work with internal partners including the content team to generate compelling engaging content, including articles, blog posts, videos, and infographics, to showcase and highlight, stories, behind-the-scenes moments, engaging content to deliver to the organisation’s objectives.
Crisis Communication: Develop crisis communication plans and processes, both internal and external to ensure swift, aligned, transparent and effective communication during a crisis, to mitigate manage and protect the Movements brand and reputation.
Ensure all communications and process are in place to engage the relevant stakeholders and all parties are aware of action processes during a crisis.
Arrange and manage any press conferences and or other media events required and be the lead response to address any issues or controversies that may arise, bringing together the key stakeholders and managers.
Stakeholders Relations and Support: Support the Director of Marketing and Communications, CEO President and Board in developing protecting and promoting policies and decisions on issues that impact the reputation and success of the movement.
Prepare briefing documents both for internal and external stakeholders as required on matters of public interest to the Commonwealth Sport Movement.
Manage and drive forums for collaboration and knowledge sharing amongst the CGAs communications and media teams. Manage, monitor and continually improve internal and external communications.
Act as a point of contact with communications and media counterparts within the CGAs, IFs and Commonwealth and other partner organisations, and develop collaborative working models and initiatives as appropriate.
Co-ordinate development and publication of regular updates including annual reports to CGAs.
Co-ordinate and develop communication and promotion of Games Reviews and generate positive public and stakeholder engagement maximising stories to enhance the reputation and value of the Movement.
Liaise and work closely with Games Organising Committees (OC’s) to support the delivery of successful Games-time media operations.
Advocacy: Identify and activate opportunities to advance the CGF’s position as an effective international leader in sport and societal development.
Increase the visibility, awareness and understanding of the development teams’ activities and initiatives across the Commonwealth.
Monitor domestic and international sporting and political issues and proactively inform the CGF and its Board on potential issues and impacts.
Competence / Knowledge / Skills Required
- Bachelors degree in communications or marketing would be preferable coupled with a strong interest or involvement with sport, event marketing international relations and the Commonwealth Movement.
- Around six-eight years media and communications experience, likely within an Agency, sport environment managing an organisations communication strategy and execution.
- Experience of working within Governmental/ sport networks would be advantageous.
- Experienced in building and delivering effective media and communications strategy across global or multiple territories.
- Experience in delivering successful media operations including games/event-time operations.
- Established media/journalist relationships.
- Experience successfully navigating and managing multi-stakeholder, multi-partner environments (i.e. politics and complexity).
- Experience managing crisis communications planning and execution.
- Proven ability to develop and execute comprehensive media and communications strategy aligned with organisational goals and objectives.
- Strong experience in managing public and media relations including issues management, crisis communications and event media operations.
- Excellent and clearly evident communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability and experience to deliver compelling narratives and messaging that resonates with stakeholders and audiences.
- Proven creative PR ideation and execution.
- Ability to deliver high level professional presentations to a variety of stakeholders.
- Proven ability to be creative and innovative.
- Budget development and management skills.
- Excellent media relationships ideally across multiple territories.
- Cultural competency and diplomacy.
- Impeccable personal integrity with clear commitment to maintaining professional standards, with discretion and tact and due respect for confidentiality.
- Agile and adaptable with exceptional attention to detail and record keeping.
- Engaging and personable with an understanding of the need to adapt personal style to the relevant audience.
- Possess strong brand acumen and judgement.
- Ability to actively deliver in a fast-paced complex environment, delivering multiple tasks and keeping a cool head under pressure.
- Diplomatic, embraces diversity, displays respect and loyalty to colleagues, the organisation and partners
- Collaborative, committed, enthusiastic, and motivated
- A passion for sports, social action, the Commonwealth, Commonwealth Sport Movement and its ideals
- Action orientated, sets and achieves the highest standards.
- The CGF fully supports a comprehensive equal opportunity and diversity policy.
- All applicants must be legally entitled to work in the United Kingdom.
- The Media and Communications Manager position will be based in the London CGF Office
If interested, please send your CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com on or by Friday 15 March 2024.